Tuesday, August 25, 2009

talent spotlight: larry!

It's time for the second installment of our weekly talent spotlights! Up in the chair today is one of our elite W xyz bar mixologists: Larry!

Aloha, Larry!
Aloha... :)

So, I understand you're a native Oregonian?
Yep. I grew up just about an hour-and-a-half southeast of Portland, in the small farming community of Silverton.

You've mentioned before that you like the outdoors...
Yeah; I don't travel much outside of the Northwest, but I've explored a lot of Oregon, Northern California, and Washington.

What kind of activities do you like?
Camping, hiking, fishing...I get out there as often as I can. Portland in general, and its outlying areas have a lot to offer.

Any favorite spots you can share?
One I'd recommend is hiking the Opal Creek area, and also camping around the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness. I love it because as an old-growth forest, it's a really pure ecosystem---really pollution-free---and there's not too many people up there. The water's nice and clear...it's one of the only places in the United States that has that kind of pure ecosystem.

Wow, sounds awesome. Keep an eye out for Bigfoot! ;D Being a mixologist in Portland, I'm sure you've got serious indoor savvy, as well as outdoor---any hip urban spots in PDX you recommend (besides W xyz, of course ;) )?
One of my favorite places downtown is the Clyde Common at 10th and Stark downtown. The bar is -stacked- with obscure specialty liquors, and represents a tremendous amount of local libations to choose from. It boasts a great Happy Hour and great food, too, with an equally great staff.

I'll have to check that Happy Hour out myself sometime...Speaking of 'happy', what's been your best "Aloha" moment so far working here?
Just meeting some of the great folks who come through the Aloft has been great. I've had many conversations with many varied types of people while mixing away at W xyz, and I've made some great bonds through that.

Thanks, awesome! Yeah, we definitely get great people here---on both sides of W xyz (and the Aloha Desk) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment